Thursday, May 16, 2013

Fixing a Droopy Bag



Hello Ladies,

I visited New York City a few months ago, and got suckered into buying three purses from Chinatown. I like changing my purses often depending on what  I'm wearing, and even my mood, so I prefer to not spend a lot of money on one purse. Well, I guess I got what I paid for in Chinatown. Two of my purses are doing great, while the other was just got droopy.

Doesn't it look sad?


I like the bag so much so I decided to fix it instead of throwing it away. It was pretty easy to do and required minimal materials.Please keep in mind this isn't a fix for naturally slouchy bags.

All you need is foam board, scissors and a glue gun (or needle and thread if you have more time) I was lucky to have some extra foam board left over from another craft project.


  • First, figure out what areas of your purse need the support. Mine was droopy all around, so I needed support on the bottom and both side panels. 


  • Next measure the foam board to the size of panels on your purse and cut it out. 


  • This next part is a bit tricky. We want to make slits in the purse liner that are big enough to fit the foam through. I did a pretty messy job, but just use a sharp blade or scissors to cut slits through the side panels and the bottom. 


  • Then you get the foam boards and slide them through each slit. You'll notice how sturdy the purse is now.


  • Finally, close the slits. You can use a needle and thread for better precision, but since I was in a press for time and I figured no one would look inside my purse, I just used a glue gun. I applied glue on one side of the slit and overlapped the other side, closing it shut.
The finished product:
(This is the back of the purse if you were wondering)

There you go, all done! Told ya, it was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment